Monday, April 25, 2011

Meatless Monday - Eggplant Lasagna

 I love me some Italian food...I mean, other than chocolate, what's better than tomato sauce and cheese...so when I'm looking for meatless dishes, I naturally gravitate towards pasta.  I searched the all knowing Google and couldn't find a recipe that I really liked, so I combined several of them and came up with my own. 




Today, you get a bonus, simple salad recipe to go along with your main dish.


Eggplant Lasagna
with Ricotta and Parmesan

Ingredients:

28 ou. can crushed tomatoes
14.5 ou can Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine
2 eggplants
1 onion
3 cloves garlic (or a couple tsps of minced garlic)
4 tbs. olive oil, plus more for eggplant
15 ou. ricotta cheese
2 lg. eggs
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
1 tbs. Italian seasoning blend
Grated Italian Cheese blend

Directions:

1. Heat broiler. In 2 batches, arrange the eggplant slices on a broilerbroof baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil until charred and tender, 4-5 mins. per side.

2. Meanwhile, pour 4 tbs. of olive oil in skillet and brown onions and garlic. Turn off the fire and pour in the red wine. Immediately turn the fire back on high and allow the wine to cook off, scraping the pan to get all of the goodies off the bottom. Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, oregano, and Italian seasoning blend. If you don’t have fresh oregano, just add extra Italian seasoning.  As always, all of my seasoning measurements are approximately.  Add or subtract to your taste.

3. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, basil and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.

4. Spread 1/3 tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish. On top of it, layer 1/2 the eggplant slices, half the ricotta mixture. Repeat for the next layer, finishing with the final 1/3 tomato sauce. Sprinkle grated Italian cheese blend on top.

5. Bake at 400 until bubbly, about 20 mins. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.



and here's your bonus side salad recipe


SALAD:

4 cups mixed baby greens
chopped red onion
Grated Italian cheese blend

ITALIAN VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbs. fresh oregano/2 tsp dried
3/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients. Shake. Dress salad immediately before serving.


I have to tell you, we REALLY liked this meal.  Even Meg, who has "food texture issues" enjoyed the eggplant.  Definitely a keeper.

3 comments:

  1. What can I say, I don't like mushy things. But this, this was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I'm going to save this for a summertime meal when eggplant is in season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shannon... Mr. Brown Socks loves eggplant. I bet this would be a hit with him. Another great recipe to tuck away. ummmm

    Donna

    ReplyDelete