Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Wreath

I decided to make a quick fall wreath for my naked front door.  This is super easy, even if you consider yourself "craft challenged".  Believe me, I'm no Martha Stewart and I can do this.  The hardest part is deciding on the look you're going for and picking out the flowers and other decorations.  I spend forever trying to make up my mind. I come from a long line of crafty, but indecisive women, and I'm proud to say that it's a curse  I've apparently handed down to my two daughters.

Anyway, let your imagination run wild and give wreath making a try.

SUPPLIES:

2 grapevine wreaths
Glue gun and glue sticks
Floral wire
Wire cutters/scissors
Flowers/decorations of your choosing
(if you're wondering what the paper plate is for, it's what I rest
my glue gun on to catch the inevitable gloppy drips)


Start off by wiring the two grapevine wreaths together in 4 places (think points on a compass....north, south, east, west). 
I like to use 2 wreaths to give a more lush appearance.


Place your more willowy, flowing flowers on first, so they'll be in the background of your display.  I tucked mine through the grapevine wreath and also used floral wire and hot glue.  You could probably omit the floral wire if you just want to glob on more glue.



Add your second layer of decorations (fall leaves in my case).  I just cut them and placed them on the wreath to see what configuration I liked, then I went back and hot glued each leaf in place.  If your wreath is going to be outside, be very generous with the hot glue.  You might also want to have some ice water handy for the inevitable "Ouch...#$*%" moment when the glue drips onto your fingers. 
Uh....not that it's ever happened to me....I'm just saying....


Well, I got carried away and forgot to snap pictures of me adding the rest of the flowers and the gourds/pumpkins, but it's basically the same process.  Lay them out, see what looks best to you, and then glue the heck out of the little buggers.  

Here's the finished product



You can see that I added several different types of flowers. 
I like different styles, colors and sizes to add dimension and interest. 



Love the little gourds and pumpkins. 


You can do this!! 

8 comments:

  1. Shannon, thats beautiful and so full looking. I love the idea of two grapevine wreaths, it certainly makes it look richer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wreath turned out great. Really fits the front of your house. Can't wait to see what else you blog about. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Char...the use of the 2 wreaths just adds so much! It looks lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty.....now would you make these hot days go away? I like the 70's please.!!!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a pretty wreath and is perfect for fall. I hope it's still being enjoyed in 2013. Thanks so much for sharing your project at Throwback Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula....I need to dig it out of the attic and get my house "falled up" this weekend.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful wreath, Shannon! So inviting on your front door. There is just something about fall colors. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denyse. I'm a sucker for fall colors...maybe it's the promise of turkey and pumpkin pie to come.

      Delete