Monday, March 7, 2011

Meatless Monday - Green salad with Poppyseed dressing

Because today is Lundi Gras in the Crescent City, today's Meatless Monday recipe is going to be super simple....Green Salad with Poppyseed dressing. 

 In all honesty, I've been out celebrating quite a bit and I'm exhausted.  I'll probably be out parading again tonight and will maybe even.....gasp...eat meat on a Monday.   I thought I'd take a second to share this quickie recipe with you today, though.

I have gotten to where I rarely use store bought, bottled dressings.  It's just so easy to make your own and control the ingredients.  I still use bottled for some things, but mostly I wing it.

For the salad, use whatever veggies you like.  I used:

Mixed baby greens
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Red onion
Walnuts
Dried cranberries or craisins (or blueberries, strawberries, whatever)

The Poppyseed dressing is sweet and thick and takes only a few minutes to make.  I substitute Splenda for the sugar, but other than that I follow the recipe...a rarity, I know.

This is a great salad for your family, and I think it's even fancy enough for entertaining.  The Splenda substitution drastically cuts the calorie content, so you're truly eating a healthy salad. 



Now, let me get back to my regularly scheduled Mardi Gras festivities.  I know it's a regular old Monday for a lot of you, but it's party central in the Big Easy.

Throw me somethin' mistah!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh does this salad look good! I bet that dressing is really good. Do you only eat salad? I would be chewing my knuckles, I'm afraid. You have fun with all your city's celebrating! Some day just maybe I can witness NO! I hope so.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Happy Mardi Gras to you, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your meatless Monday we had salad tonight too Shannon. Your salad looks fabulous, its one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy looking salad and I love dried cranberries on my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look really good and perfect for spring! I will have to try this one! YUM.

    ReplyDelete